Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Congestion Affects Monsoon Drain too

In August, one fine day after 45th National Day, I was traveling along Upper Bukit Timah Road and I noticed something interesting in the Monsoon Drain.

I noticed that there were (and it is still there) sediments being exposed from the water level in the Monsoon Drain. I stopped nearby and I took some pictures of the sediment with my mobile phone and I also noticed that there is a remote sensing CCTV camera monitoring the Monsoon drain.

When I was there for the first time, the CCTV camera gimbal was pointing at the main canal. Maybe PUB did not know about the sediment because the camera did not look at the right direction.

Personally, I do not believed that such formation of sediment cannot just formed overnight. I had took some pictures with my mobile phone but I thought I could take better pictures with a camera and planned to return the following day. (Will post the picture of the canal soon)

IMO, what is the purpose of spending tax payers' money by installing those remote sensing camera to monitor flood and yet failed to notice the sediment? Is this another case of money well spent again? What is PUB going to do about the sediment and how much it will affect the flow of water to minimize or prevent another flooding in case of another "once every 50 years" freak flood?

Pictures taken on 12 August 2010

A "Tip of the Iceberg"? How much sediment is under water?


High Water Level at the Canal Intersection







The area CCTV was monitoring on 12 August 2010

1 comment:

  1. sediment? have you noticed how many drains are choked with leaves and garbage too? and for days on end?

    ReplyDelete